My Heart and Other Black holes

8:20 PM

"I will be stronger than my sadness."

Title: My Heart and Other Black Holes
Author: Jasmine Warga
Published: February 10th 2015
Pages: 302
Format: Hardcover
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating: 5/5
I went through with this book in one sitting. It's actually pretty short and easy to read. The book is gorgeous, cover wise. I bought a hardcover of it and I can't seem to stop myself from touching it (creep), it has some adorable details.DSC09129
*trigger warning: this book (or this review) has suicide theme*
So the story goes like this:
Haunted by the sins of her father that became the talk of the town, depressed girl, Aysel,  has a habit of planning her own suicide but was much of a coward to do it (her words). In her favorite website for depressed people who wants to commit suicide, she saw an ad in the Suicide Partner section, who was rushing his own to death and is looking for a partner (for suicide). Seeing it as a way to get through the act, they made plans.
Until one day,  she realized that there's more to live for. And now all she have to do is, save him before it's too late.
Ok so the first time I read the blurb at the back of the paperback copy, I was immediately drawn to this. Not because I'm fascinated with suicide but because I know this will be breathtakingly beautiful.
But I did not purchase it immediately for I want to have the hardcover (sucker for them!) because the hardcover is just so gorgeous. So last Saturday, I found it underneath the stacks of paperback and snag it.
It was a little bit hard to read because you just have this urge to help them yourself. To shake them and say, "I'm here! talk to me!"  You just feel like they're your friends and it's not responsibility anymore as their friend that pushes you to save them but because they are humans. They are people who are hurt and feels like giving up.
I honestly think that this will be another novel about another couple who tragically fell in love-- but it's not. For me, it's more about Aysel's evolution. From being sad to finally discovering happiness, hope, life... and love, It was so uplifting that the author made Aysel fought it first. Then the love just came second. It's a good message to impart to people that change start from themselves.
I get a glimpse of how depression's affect a person. Often times, we just shrug off the people who say they are feeling depressed because we just see it as some other term for sadness. But I just want to shout to the world that they are not the same! That if someone was brave enough to tell you that they are indeed depressed, listen to them. Please listen to them.
The writing  is phenomenal-- it's an easy read. You could relate to the characters well, The mystery is a bonus, keeps you guessing what did Aysel's father did.
I wouldn't go much in to details because I don't want to spoil it. Beautiful wouldn't suffice to describe it.
DSC09288

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Read Books

Flickr Images