Dilemma: to cover or not to cover (my books)

3:02 AM

My precious Looking For Alaska Special edition uncovered

Like most of you (or most Filipinos), I also cover my books with plastic cover. I remember I had my first book (a book of the Twilight saga, namely Eclipse), my mom told me to wrap my books with plastic cover, to prevent it from being damaged, I didn't follow her at first, and that's when I noticed the edges of my book started wearing off, and the edge, had a crease. I panicked a little and that's when I started using plastic cover.

When I had my first ever hardcover book, Breaking Dawn, I did not know how to cover it! Like do I cover the entire dust jacket to the book or what. In the end, I taped the dust jacket to the book.

Afterwards, I covered my books with thick plastics. It absolutely looks (and feels) amazing to my precious babies, paperbacks specially. Take note: up until now.

Now that I started collecting again, I did a research on how to properly take care of books. And the list says that you should not cover it with plastic! For it traps moisture in the book.

The dilemma started: should I cover my books or not?

Up until now, I;m still undecided, pictured above, the other books is left uncovered because I actually like the feel of that edition. As compared to the other edition of Looking for Alaska, I covered it to hide the scratches, if you know what I mean, and to prevent further scratches.

Pros (of covering books):

  • Preserves the edges
  • Or yes could preserve the book's cover and dust jackets specially
Cons
  • Collects dusts and moisture after years
  • Tears after a while (if flimsy)
  • If removed, destroys the book (it happened to me, sadly)
I'm actually still weighing the points I made. But now, I only cover my dust jackets, I do not attach it to the book anymore, so if any time I want to remove it, I could just (very carefully) remove it. Meanwhile, my new paperbacks are either uncovered, temporarily covered, or just protected with plastic. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Read Books

Flickr Images